Humidity Change and Unisons

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:43:42 -0500

><<"Since it takes (temperature considerations aside) a
>change in length to produce a change in tension">>
>
>que???
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Sorry, I implied some details I should have specified. In an existing
piano, in the context of the discussion, what else besides a temperature
change or a change in the length of a string segment or termination span
will change the tension in the segment? Be it a turned tuning pin, bridge
and soundboard movement, rendering across friction points, compressing
plate, expanding universe,  meandering pinblock, rolling bridge, little
tiny smoke producing demons, really heavy fallboard knobs, or those darn
pesky casters, and since the tension in any string segment is the direct
result of the termination span being longer than the string segment,
doesn't something have to change the string segment length or termination
span to change the tension in the segment?

That's what I mean, unless I overlooked something altogether. I was just
trying to  step back into the really basic cause and effect stuff.

Ron N