piano tuning method

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:27:13 EDT

In a message dated 8/21/00 7:33:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
dbrown@tri-city.org (Brown, David) writes:

<< Could someone describe their method of tuning in under 100 words.  I was
 taught by an old timer who started at the lowest bass string and went all
 the way to the top using his Peterson 520.  He did get a nice result.  Isn't
 this method somewhat untraditional?  He did teach me to stretch the upper
 octaves as I go for a nice bright sound.  Was this correct?

 A novice. >>

Please don't consider my response as insulting or condescending.  There is no
simplistic approach to piano tuning.  To be successful, it should be
considered a lifetime learning experience of which no one really knows all
there is to know.  There are many kinds of techniques that people use in
different situations.

Generally speaking, a Peterson Strobe tuner is not the right tool to use to
get a really good quality tuning.  For starters, any person wishing to tune a
piano must have some kind of idea of what a piano really being in tune means.
 Using any kind of Electronic Tuning Device (ETD) without having learned to
listen and control the piano by ear is a poor way to approach the profession.
 Such individuals rarely succeed in passing the PTG Tuning Exam.

The "nice result" achieved by the above description can only be a hopeful
opinion.  With such a method, there can be no variation or way to deal with
unusual problems.  Pianos have different kinds of scale designs, many of
which are irregular.  In no way can all of the different kinds of pianos and
scale designs conform to the singular method suggested by the use of a Strobe
Tuner.  Pianos are also found in many different states of care or neglect.  A
singular method cannot possibly cope with all of the variations that will be
encountered on a daily basis.

While I do know of excellent technicians (even highly skilled RPT's) who
start tuning on the note A0 and proceed in one direction through to note C8,
to me, in my opinion, this is about the most illogical way to tune a piano
that may be conceived.  I would never, ever do that.

Unfortunately, it would take far more than just 100 words to describe even
the most usual and practical approach to piano tuning.  If you really want to
be a good piano technician, you should seek out membership in PTG and avail
yourself of all of the resources.  It takes commitment, diligence, time,
disappointment and failure before truly good results may be expected.  There
are no short cuts for beginners.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin