Piano from heck day

Patrick Greene greeneguy63@mindspring.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:49:21 -0400

I had to tune a really awful Whitney today and I had to pound in one of the
strings.  I really hate to do that because one never knows when the pin
block will split even more.  This thing was circa 1922, but had fairly nice
tone.  The hammers were kind of wobbly and I took out the worst one and
repinned the hammer butt with a larger pin.  It was still wobbly when I got
done, but was somewhat better.  The hammer butt was connected to the rail
via this brass "U" shaped flange.  Is there anything else I could have done
to make the hammer less wobbly?  I realize that I am using these technical
terms rather loosely :-)  Thanks for your advice..
Patrick Greene