Liftrod Woes

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:50:20 -0600

Hi Clyde,
              Two things come to mind.  1. The bushing cloth in the clips
is badly worn, where ever I encounter this problem, most often the bass end
clip bushing is badly worn. This will
cause the hanger to slop around before starting to lift the dampers.  If
the Nail that you used is not the same diameter of the old hanger, this
also may be source of the problem.
2.  you need to check that all the hangers are in a nice straight line on a
good flat surface.
Adjust them to ensure even lift.

You also do not know the history of the damper adjusments, so you could be
following some one elses foul up.
Hope this helps.
Roger

At 06:59 PM 18/08/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>Had a little (about 1959) Milton spinet to service Tuesday, the first
>service call on this piano for me.  One of the liftrod hooks was broken
>off.  I'm not good at replacing these, so after I made one out of a nail
>I had the welder weld it into place.  Did a really nice job, too.
>
>What upsets me is that I can put it back into the action, and on the
>bench it works really nice.  All the dampers lift at the same time.  But
>when I put it in the piano, the treble dampers lift sooner than the
>bass, not as badly as before the repair, but certainly not all at the
>same time.  If it makes any difference, this was one of those 2-piece
>liftrods.  I suspect the hook was broken for many years.
>
>I repaired one of these once before and got the same results.  What am I
>doing wrong?
>
>Regards,
>Clyde

Roger Jolly