Liftrod Woes

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:59:44 -0400

Friends,

Had a little (about 1959) Milton spinet to service Tuesday, the first
service call on this piano for me.  One of the liftrod hooks was broken
off.  I'm not good at replacing these, so after I made one out of a nail
I had the welder weld it into place.  Did a really nice job, too.

What upsets me is that I can put it back into the action, and on the
bench it works really nice.  All the dampers lift at the same time.  But
when I put it in the piano, the treble dampers lift sooner than the
bass, not as badly as before the repair, but certainly not all at the
same time.  If it makes any difference, this was one of those 2-piece
liftrods.  I suspect the hook was broken for many years.

I repaired one of these once before and got the same results.  What am I
doing wrong?

Regards,
Clyde