Steinway, Model M Grand knocking rattle noise

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:54:01 -0600

Hi Arthur,
               If the damper guides are that loose, bit the bullet and rebush
them, whilst you have the dampers out it is worth your time to pull the under
levers and repin and travel as required. Also check the under lever leads for
tightness, and or, service the springs.
May as well paid for a complete job.
It is often less hassle to replace the damper felt, when rebushing the
guides.
Talk to the customer and explain that a complete damper reconditioning is the
best way to go.
The up stop rail should allow the damper head no more than 1/16" of up ward
travel, when the key is firmly depressed.  Not enough to feel a bump on a hard
blow, and enough to have clean after touch.

Just my 2cents worth.
Roger

At 04:31 PM 16/08/00 -0400, you wrote:

> List,
>
> I have a customer with a Steinway M Grand which has several notes in
octave 3
> that make a rattle or knocking noise when played.  There is a lot  of space
> around the damper wires at the guide rail bushings.  The damper can be
easily
> moved from side to side and back and forth.  When the damper lever strikes
> the upstop rail the wire rlso check the underleverattles and knocks against
> the guide rail bushing. If I play the note with a little pressure with my
> finger on the damper wire the noise stops.  I am looking for adjustment or
> repair ideas to solve this problem.
> Do I need to raise the upstop rail, adjust key dip or rebush the guide
rail?
> Thanks,
>
> Arthur Chickering
> PTG Associate