Steinway, Model M Grand knocking rattle noise

Mark Story mark.story@mail.ewu.edu
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:25:09 -0700

Arthur,

Rebushing it may need, but you might be able to tame the damper wire by
bending it to increase (or apply, if there is none) the bearing of the wire
on one side of the bushing. The S&S service manual says that the bass damper
wires should bear “slightly” on the treble side of the bushing and the
treble on the bass side. I’ve never really liked this specification – (why
not just bush the rail correctly and let the wire ride freely up and down
and let the guide rail, guide the wire rather than support it?) but there it
is. This can be tricky though, because when you bend the wire for any reason
you will have to compensate for it with another bend at the correct location
on the wire to insure that it works correctly. If you’re not quite up on
damper wire adjustment, you might want to get some help and maybe practice
on an action model. I think it’s something that anyone that tunes grands
regularly should know, because it’s a pretty common problem source that many
tuners avoid like the plague.

Mark Story. RPT
Eastern Washington University
Cheney, Washington