Steinway, Model M Grand knocking rattle noise

ARTHUR CHICKERING chikring@midcoast.com
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:31:28 -0400

List,

I have a customer with a Steinway M Grand which has several notes in =
octave 3 that make a rattle or knocking noise when played.  There is a =
lot  of space around the damper wires at the guide rail bushings.  The =
damper can be easily moved from side to side and back and forth.  When =
the damper lever strikes the upstop rail the wire rattles and knocks =
against the guide rail bushing. If I play the note with a little =
pressure with my finger on the damper wire the noise stops.  I am =
looking for adjustment or repair ideas to solve this problem.
Do I need to raise the upstop rail, adjust key dip or rebush the guide =
rail?
Thanks,

Arthur Chickering
PTG Associate