Tilting Pianos

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:21:59 -0400

At 07:53 AM 08/15/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello all.  I've been using the archives for a little while now and I'd
>like to join the fray.  I'm getting ready to do a caster replacement job
>on a Baldwin Hamilton in a local school.  I do not have a piano tilter as
>of yet.  My plan is to get several helpers to put the piano on it's back
>(on blocks of course).  I would appreciate any caveats or suggestions from
>those of you with more experience.  Also, I think I should remove the
>action from the piano while doing this.  Thanks for any help.
>
>Mitch Ruth
>DeMossville, KY
>mitch_ruth@hotmail.com

Mitch,
Out of the kettle and into the fire, eh; glad to have you aboard.

Although a tilter is the easiest means to install casters, there is an
easier way than to shlump the piano onto its back. Tilt the piano
onto its side with a block (tool case :-) keeping the top edge
sufficiently off the ground to make righting it easier. Tilt onto the
other side for the casters on the other end. I have done this many times.

Place a pad or something else on the floor to protect the lower
corner and the floor while tilting. Always, always, always make certain
the problem caster does not mar the floor while positioning the piano.
This is a good practice when moving any piano even if the casters
are good.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.