Tilting Pianos

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:06:51 -0400

I do not mean this sarcastically in any way. Get a tilter. So easy, so =
safe. The only way to do it IMHO!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 8:21 AM
  Subject: Re: Tilting Pianos

  At 07:53 AM 08/15/2000 -0400, you wrote:

    Hello all.  I've been using the archives for a little while now and =
I'd like to join the fray.  I'm getting ready to do a caster replacement =
job on a Baldwin Hamilton in a local school.  I do not have a piano =
tilter as of yet.  My plan is to get several helpers to put the piano on =
it's back (on blocks of course).  I would appreciate any caveats or =
suggestions from those of you with more experience.  Also, I think I =
should remove the action from the piano while doing this.  Thanks for =
any help.

    Mitch Ruth
    DeMossville, KY
    mitch_ruth@hotmail.com
    =

  Mitch,
  Out of the kettle and into the fire, eh; glad to have you aboard.

  Although a tilter is the easiest means to install casters, there is an
  easier way than to shlump the piano onto its back. Tilt the piano
  onto its side with a block (tool case :-) keeping the top edge
  sufficiently off the ground to make righting it easier. Tilt onto the
  other side for the casters on the other end. I have done this many =
times.

  Place a pad or something else on the floor to protect the lower
  corner and the floor while tilting. Always, always, always make =
certain
  the problem caster does not mar the floor while positioning the piano.
  This is a good practice when moving any piano even if the casters
  are good.

  Regards,

  Jon Page,   piano technician
  Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.