refinishing problem

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 19:38:14 EDT

In a message dated 08/05/2000 6:24:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
jim_shari@ruralnet1.com writes:

> List,
>  I've refinished pianos for over 15 years, but a grand that I'm working on
>  now has me stumped.  The entire piano has refinished just fine with the
>  exception of the large lid.  After the second series of sealer coats, the
>  finish develops small bubbles.  The bubbles feel like bumps about the size
>  of a pin head, but after wet-sanding, they are small craters, so I know
they
>  were actually bubbles in the finish.  After the first time this happened, I
>  stripped the lid again and started over.  I had the normal amount of
>  fish-eye on the lid, but it went away after the first 4 coats of sealer
>  (with fish-eye eliminator) were wet-sanded flat.  Then after the 4th added
>  sealer coat, the bubbles appeared.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.
>  Jim Krentzel

Hello Jim, there can be several reasons for this to happen, why are you
getting so much fisheye do you think?  We rarely have it and are very careful
about adding fish eye eliminater.  Also, was your lid exposed to any type of
heat during the process?
The sun??

David Koelzer
DFW