refinishing problem

Joseph Alkana jfa19@IDT.NET
Sat, 05 Aug 2000 16:43:27 -0700

jim krentzel wrote:

> List,
> I've refinished pianos for over 15 years, but a grand that I'm working on
> now has me stumped.  The entire piano has refinished just fine with the
> exception of the large lid.  After the second series of sealer coats, the
> finish develops small bubbles.  The bubbles feel like bumps about the size
> of a pin head, but after wet-sanding, they are small craters, so I know they
> were actually bubbles in the finish.  After the first time this happened, I
> stripped the lid again and started over.  I had the normal amount of
> fish-eye on the lid, but it went away after the first 4 coats of sealer
> (with fish-eye eliminator) were wet-sanded flat.  Then after the 4th added
> sealer coat, the bubbles appeared.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.
> Jim Krentzel

Jim,
I'm no expert, but I had something like that once myself. It turned out
to be water in the air supply. I was using a dryer filter-one of the
throw away types that cost a fortune--and simply overused its capacity.
Hope you find something simple like this as well. Please let us know the
results of your investigation/correction.

Joseph Alkana  RPT