New DSL

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Tue, 01 Aug 2000 07:58:11 EDT

I hope you enjoy your new DSL.  We have bellatlantic DSL and love it
although it is fickle.  Sometimes we have to reset it as often as 5 or 6
times during the day.  Don't trash your dial-up numbers though in case it
goes down.

For anyone out there, DSL, at least Bell Atlantic, encourages customers to
"share" their connections, but they don't support or tell you how to set up
the sharing.  In other words, DSL is brought into one computer in your home
or office, and then you are permitted to distribute it over your local
network.  I discovered the secret to ICS for the bellatlantic DSL, and it
may work on others.

Windows 98 Second edition has something called Internet Connection Sharing.
You only install this on the computer that has the fancy internet connection
- like the DSL modem.  You select Internet Connection Sharing in the Windows
setup, and answer the questions the wizard asks you.  The SECRET answer to
the question, "How do you connect to the Internet"  is NOT DSL modem, but
DIAL UP ADAPTER!  The WinPoet simulates a dial up connection, but since you
had to install a special adapter, you might think that is the right answer -
wrong!

We manage to regularly crash and burn computer parts and connections quite
regularly around here, probably due to the age of the gene pool, so I am
getting quite efficient at resetting this stuff!

Even though it is fickle, I still think DSL is the greatest thing to come
down the pike in a while!

Carol Beigel, RPT
Greenbelt, Maryland