Pin Torque (was Re: Proper Approach? - CA pinblock repairs)

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:51:22 -0600 (CST)

Bill/List,

   Since torque readings have come up, what IS a good torque reading?
Say, for instance, on a Baldwin SF which is app. 15 yrs. old.
   What about on new pianos?

Avery

>Thanks for your input.  One reason I was hesitating to use CA every time, is
>that it is almost too good. On a marginally tuneable piano, full treatment (I
>think - and I have done some experiments to this result) can leave you with
>pin torque of over 125 inch pounds. That seems like overkill. On a piano that
>begins with 5-10 inch pounds torque, then CA treatment puts you to 40-60-70
>inch pound range.
>
>Bill Simon
>Phoenix

Avery Todd, RPT                        Experience is something you don't
Moores School of Music                 get until just after you need it.
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893
713-743-3226
http://www.music.uh.edu/