CA pinblock with plate bushings

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 00:22:35 EST

englepiano@juno.com wrote:

<< How do you CA fans deal with the fumes in customers homes?  I know how
 serious it gets just working with it in my shop, I can't imagine it going
 over to well in someones living room!>>

I take in a big stand alone fan, set it in the opposite corner of the room and
blast it at the piano for dilution.  I also make sure there is good airflow,
with some windows open, ( this is not a heating problem in Phoenix) and advise
the customer that the stuff I am using is really high tech stuff and works
miracles, but is something to be concerned with. I explain that once the stuff
is catalysed (with accelerator), the threat is over, which I think is
substantially true.

Don't belittle or denegrate the procedure or the material. The customer is
paying for a type of magical cure to the piano's problems, go with that.  They
are getting a state of the art treatment! Enlist their help, - in putting the
pets outside, or keeping the kids away, keeping the windows or door open.
Better for them, better for you.

I have found that my customers are quite willing to help increase airflow to
reduce fumes, then they stay away!   It involves them, -- but you are there in
the trenches, fighting fumes for their benefit. Also, for my own protection, I
carry and use (at least part of the time during application) a serious looking
respiratory safety mask. The fumes truly are not good! - They see this and
never feel like standing around the piano watching.

I see no reason you need to explain that the acrylic resin treatment is a
superglue, available at the store down the street. I remove commercial labels
from the bottles and re-label with my own handwritten labels, " ARS (whatever)
- Part A - LV (for low viscosity)", etc., and I carry the CA , tips, syringes,
accellerator, etc, into the house in a 8" x 10" aluminum camera case, with
everything fitted into its own spot in the foam insert. A serious,
professional looking box.

Have not done it yet, but I am considering carrying in a small squirrel cage
blower, pulling in air  from a long cardboard manifold behind the pinblock,
and ejecting it outside the house through a 4" dryer hose. That would be very
high tech looking and quite a good idea.

Bill Simon
Phoenix