Customers don't over- or underpay me

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 23:26:40 -0500

Lance (and other friends on the list),

Even if the guy never pays you the $525, you only lose $250 ($525 - $75
- $200 = $250).  Chances are, you rarely lose this much money in a
year's time (I hope), so you have reason to be thankful.

If I get to a home and no one is there to let me in, I wait 15 minutes
then leave a letter which says:

"Dear Client,

When I arrived as scheduled I was unable to gain access to your piano.

If there was an unforeseen emergency that prevented you from being home,
please let us know.  We are very understanding, knowing there are
instances when the welfare of a friend or family member takes precedence
over piano service.

If this problem was due to an oversight on your part we recognize that
all of us make similar mistakes now and then.  Nevertheless, piano
technicians have little more to sell than their time and skills.  A
failed appointment means a significant loss, since it will now take two
appointments to service your piano when payment is received for only
one.  The extra time from the failed appointment can rarely be used
profitably.

We have developed the following policy if the second instance is the
case.  We are willing to absorb the loss for the first occurrence.
Should the same happen again, you will be requested to pay half the
normal tuning charge, plus mileage costs if they apply.  Both of us wish
to be treated fairly, and from our viewpoint this policy appears more
than fair.

Please call if you would like to schedule another appointment.  Thank
you for understanding."

And I go off to get a cup of coffee and read the paper.  The above is
not copyrighted.  :-)  Feel free to use it.

Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA