Brass Rail Repairs

Doug Richards Doug.Richards@quantum.com
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:26:31 -0800

Ron, Tom and list
I had the ASM book out today on Material properties and remembered this
thread.

First, if you are not familiar with material selection, the is a BUNCH of
different brass types.

Having said this, for low brass and leaded brass (type C24000, C27000,
C35300, C31400 to C35600...) the annealing temperature is 800-1300 degrees
F.

>From skimming the copper section of the book, I'd say that brass that is
used in brass rails has been work hardened from the original forming
process. Annealing it will remove the internal stresses and make it more
ductile.  I didn't see any fatigue related information...

I'd suspect the reason piano makers didn't require annealing is $$$$$$$$$$$.

Any other questions?
doug richards
San Jose, CA