Proper Approach? - CA pinblock repairs

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:59:37 EST

John Ross wrote:

<<It is my understanding, that the glycerine treatment is a no no.
Apparently it works by the glycerine attracting, moisture. Over the years it
attracts more and more moisture, and you end up with rot.
Just what I heard, it may or not be true.>>

Well, the glycerine is hygroscopic, in that it draws moisture out of the air.
I know it works pretty well in Phoenix, but then we are extremely dry.  It is
quite usual to see pianos moved to Phoenix become untuneable in a year or two.
I have seen pianos treated with glycerine for more than 20 years here, and
have never seen or heard of any "rot."

Interestingly enough, the treatment works well only once. If it was done once
25 years ago, there vill be almost no improvement in torque with another
treatment. If the piano has never been treated, it is good for 10-20 inch
pounds of torque, which is why it is generally done with some pin tapping for
more effect.

I am extremely impressed with the CA treatment. I have seen it fail in
Garfield treated pianos, but never saw a failure in treating a formerly
glycerine treated block. This prompted my original question.

If the glycerine treatment truly fails in other regions of the country, I
would like to hear something about that.

Secondly, if not glycerine, and before CA, what would you consider was the
proper treatment, if any?  Surely it cannot be Garfield's, for I have seen
nothing but disasters with that!

Bill Simon
Phoenix