Proper Approach? - CA pinblock repairs

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:59:40 EST

Bob Bergantino, RPT  wrote:

<<Why use Garfields or Glycerin if you have CA available?  It's the way to go.
I have even put in CA on top of a previous Pintite application (of 10 years
ago), and it seemed to hold satisfactorily.>>

Thanks for your input.  One reason I was hesitating to use CA every time, is
that it is almost too good. On a marginally tuneable piano, full treatment (I
think - and I have done some experiments to this result) can leave you with
pin torque of over 125 inch pounds. That seems like overkill. On a piano that
begins with 5-10 inch pounds torque, then CA treatment puts you to 40-60-70
inch pound range.

Is there a justifiable theory or logic in which one would give only a light CA
treatment, because the torque was almost but not quite good enough before
starting? OR - is every treatment a "full treatment."

<<I would be interested to hear from anyone who did not find CA effective over
previous application of glycerine or CA.>>

As previously stated, I had a dismal failure on a grand with  negative pin
torque that had been very heavily treated with Garfields. ( in spite of three
ounces of CA, with the pinblock literally dripping excess CA during treatment.

I experimented with several pianos and a number of old blocks and I have not
seen any evidence that a former glycerine treatment interferes with successful
CA treatment.

Can CA treatments go on forever? - Every 25 years? - No more pinblock
replacements!

Bill Simon
Phoenix