Alternative Temperaments

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:00:03 +0200

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 8/25/99 4:22:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time, you write:
>
> << Hi list.
>
>  To those of you who are interested in this kind of thing, one Paul
>  Erlich has recently contacted me and asked me to put him in contact with
>  some of you. >>
>
> Whew!  Kind of interesting but I'm afraid that this is the kind of "way out
> there" thinking that scares people away.  It is not what I am interested in
> or what I do and not what other people like Skip Becker, Dave Lamoreux, Karen
> Hudson-Brown and Ed Foote do either.
>
> We may argue and disagree among ourselves about certain things but we all
> have one goal in common: a better, more musical sounding piano, not a weird,
> far out sounding one.  We all want what ET is supposed to provide:  a piano
> that will express virtually any music that the general public might care to
> play, beautifully and correctly.  We don't want it to offend anyone.  We
> don't want it to sound "sour".  We want it to to sound "in tune", titillate
> the ear and make the music all the more enjoyable.
>
> I have also come up with a guitar tuning that has the same goals as above.  I
> wonder if Mr. Erlich would be interested in it?
>
> Bill Bremmer RPT

By all means please contact him. I suspected that his work, being more directed
at experimental music with synth's, would not directly relate to the daily life
of piano tuners, even those who angle off in these directions. But he seems like
an interesting fellow, and such fellows often have interesting ideas worth taking
second looks at. One never knows...

His address is as follows for anyone who would like to corespond with him.

PErlich@acadian-asset.com

As I know as yet very little of these things, I can only express that this
posting provides some of you with something stimulating to chew on for a while.
grin

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway