S&S decals...but deeper...long

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:24:11 -0400

Hi List,

The discussion of decals and trademarks and patents and such has been =
interesting.

I have worked for a Steinway dealer for several years.  Even though the =
S&S piano has the name recognition of being the 'best', (agreeably =
arguable) they are not without room for improvement.

I sat down to the concert grand last night before I left the store, and =
just played through from end to end in very relaxed fashion, listening =
to whatever it had to say to me.  I didn't play long before I was struck =
with a flood of thoughts.  This instrument has been one of those that =
has a good sound in the bass, a fair sound in the tenor, and as you go =
past about G above middle C, the tone gets weaker and weaker and weaker =
until at the top, it's as dead as a doornail.  The artists are =
continually crying "juice it up", but even with the heaviest of =
juicings, and the most laborious of voicings, it's still dead, just =
tinnier.  We're talking about a 5 year old 'D' here.  (With a flat =
board...)=20

I've seen the work coming from Steinway in N.Y.  Compared to many, it's =
still good.  But the overall quality of the pianos that have been coming =
into the store in the last year or so seems to be going down, not up.  =
There was a "Steinway Sale" a few months back where they had 5 'B's =
sitting there, none of which had any tone quality to speak of, but I =
wasn't allowed to say it.  "We're a _Steinway_ dealer, and these are =
_Steinways_..."  My heart sinks a little bit each time I think about it.

I've seen some glimpses from time to time of what Steinways CAN be.  =
It's a shame that S&S is stuck in the groove of making pianos from a =
'very good for a 1900 piano design' platform when I really believe they =
could be better.  The world of piano technology has been moving steadily =
forward, and to some degree, leaving some of the piano manufacturers =
behind, Steinway included.  I realize Steinway of N.Y. has gotten burned =
a few times by bringing onboard new technology that they weren't ready =
for, (Teflon bushings come to mind,) but there are some leaders in our =
field who have improved action performance, improved sound quality, =
improved string scales, improved soundboard designs, all to make an =
instrument that is (in my opinion) a far superior instrument than what =
Steinway is currently producing.=20

My point is they could be so much better.  And rather than pulling out =
the propaganda of "If every part of your Steinway isn't a genuine =
Steinway part, then it's not really a Steinway" , perhaps they would do =
well to embrace some of the new piano technology, and endeavor to bring =
a better line of pianos into general production. =20

Personally, (and these are opinions,) I don't like the Steinway =
'Diaphragmized' boards.  I think they are too weak in the treble end.  I =
don't like the rib scale.  It goes flat in the treble end, and we end up =
with the 5 year old 'D' I was talking about. (tink, tink, tink...) Their =
N.Y. action parts have improved some over the last few years, but I =
wonder how many piano technicians would choose S&S action parts over =
Renner for their own pianos? (When we do replace S&S genuine parts, we =
normally use Hamburg parts when we can.)

I do hope the rebuilders and the 'thinkers' out there who are working to =
make truly superior instruments will keep on working to constantly make =
them better.  It's a sad day indeed when the general attitude is "it's =
already as good as it gets."  Wasn't it sometime back around the turn of =
the century that someone from the Patent Office said, "Everything that =
can be invented has already been invented."?  Now that's sad.

A little more than $0.02

Brian Trout