decals

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:23:40 +0200

kam544@flash.net wrote:

> Having seen and read that note, which is professional in appearance and
> content, seemed entirely appropriate to me.  I wasn't offended in the least
> for someone to remind me of the importance of their product to them
>
> Keith McGavern
> kam544@flash.net
> Registered Piano Technician
> Oklahoma Chapter 731
> Piano Technicians Guild
> USA

Actually I tend to aggree with this lone voice. I fail to see what the problem
is with Steinway chooseing to draw a line there. If the piano gets rebuilt, why
doesnt the rebuilder, as a matter of course, display this on the rebuilt piano.
Especially those who are into modifying such instruments in any fundemental
way.

I mean lets look at it this way,, why should Steinway get the "blame" (in the
name)  for a botched rebuild, and why should they get the Credit (also in the
name) for a superior rebuild. Seems like the rebuilder should have the er..
shall I say guts.. to declare him / her self. If the rebuild is good, hey then
its good for buisness.

For those rebuilders who would wish to meticiously follow the Steinway road,
and become factory authorized in some fashion, well let them use the name.

In any case Steinway is in its perfect right to protect its name in any way it
sees fit, and rebuilders should take advantage of the chance to profile
themselves by complying actively, renameing the piano with their own Logo.
There is nothing in the rules that say you cant document that it was
origionally built by Steinway to add to its saleability, so whats the problem
???

Seems like a lot of hoopla for nothing. grin

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway