Dummy weights (was Re: Touchweight)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:31:16 EDT

 Greetings all,
      I have the lead weights, and have used them when the action stack is
also disassembled and I want to rough in the key felting and leveling, but if
it is sitting there with the hammers and all put together, it sure is quicker
to put the stack on and off with half the screws than it is to take all those
weights on and off.
    With fresh felt, two three passes under a leveling stick are enough to
get the keys level, and I can put that stack on and take it off faster than I
can install and remove a set of weights.  Also,  a leveling stick that spans
the entire length of the keyboard is the only way I have seen to get a truly
level set of keys.  If you don't have one, make one! (mine I got on a Pratt
Read tour in 1976 and it is laminated with keytop material on both sides.  It
may be possible to get a cabinet shop to laminate a piece that is 3/8" thick
and 1 inch tall with formica on both sides, and then you can run it down a
table saw to get it really straight)
REgards,
Ed