The "NeverTune Piano"

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:49:43 -0600

Hi Clyde,
              Some times you would be giving the customer better service,
to touch up the tuning, and then spend the balance of the time doing some
technical work to improve the playability, and tone of the instument.
Clean up lost motion or reset a hammer line for example.
As long as you are not just doing a touch up to make a fast buck. And not
doing this as a general practice for a quick job.
Now I can put on a flame suit and duck.
 Regards Roger

At 07:07 AM 25/08/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>When I come across this situation (and they're not all Gulbransens) I
>assume there was a period of time in the piano's history during which it
>received at least annual tunings for 5-10 years.
>
>I have this question.  If I find a piano remarkably close to pitch which
>hasn't been tuned for ten years, do I touch up the tuning and then say
>"see you again in _another_ ten years"?  More frequent tuning doesn't
>seem to make sense to the owner in some of these situations, but I can't
>make myself recommend they leave it go that long, even if it is rarely
>used.
>
>Clyde Hollinger
>
>Glenn wrote:
>>
>> Hi Y'all.
>>
>> In my limited experience I've run across 3 pianos that the owners
>> SWEAR have not been tuned for a large number of years.  In all three
>> cases they claim double digits (at least 10 years since last tuning).
>>
>> In all three cases, with this particular brand only, the pianos did
>> not require a pitch raise!  Before going to each job, I gave the
>> owners the pitch raise "schpeel" only to check to find the pianos
>> either 4 cents low or even high!  Of course they sounded terrible but
>> the overall pitch averaged out and they needed only one pass.  What
>> brand was this?  Gulbrasen.  Two consoles and a spinet.

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada.