Tunerspeak

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:54:38 -0500

>but since we are expanding or contracting the
> intervals from one note or the other......

Tuners widen
Musicians expand

"Expanding" and "contracting" are terms used in music theory for intervals whose
note(s) are  "raised" or "lowered" one chromatic semitone (or more), according to
one modern text book I have looked at.  In tuning  we are altering the interval by
far less than a semitone, so the terms "wide" and "narrow" avoid ambiguity when
conversing with musicians.  Thus a tempered fourth is a teensy bit "wide", but an
expanded fourth is so wide it is called an augmented fourth, and sounds like a "flat
fifth" to a Jazz person. Now if he is hep to the parlez-vous, he would say, "I mean
a contracted fifth, not a narrow one."
	Besides the difference of terms is clear in use.  "Is an expanded major second
wider or narrower than a contracted minor third?"   "Does this apply to systems
where minor thirds are tempered narrow?"   You can tune an interval wide, but how
can you tune it expanded?
This should be clear even to Ruby.  ; )

 ---Ric Narro