V-Pro

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:10:28 +0200

A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

> Ron writes:
> >How can a longer support area for a given load, on a given
> >footprint width, result in accelerated wear of the support? This is contrary
> >to logic as I know it. How does this work? Let's backtrack and plug a few
> >holes before we hotly dispute anything else, what do you say?
>
>     I have the same questions here as Ron does.  Plus a few other things.
> Inre the "damping" differences between the materials:

I tried to answer that as best I could in my last reply. So I will wait for
counters to go forward with that.

>    When there is, in a vibrating system, something that damps as profoundly
> as the soundboard,  I don't know that the plate's contribution will make a
> lot of difference in the damping.  It would seem more important that the
> plate be designed so that it has no audible resonant frequency (all
> structures have one).  Lack of audible resonant period shouldn't be confused
> with damping, imho.

I am not sure as to whether or not we are talking about two different things with
regard to internal damping of cast iron. On the one hand, we seem to all have
gotten past this buisness of Plate Ring, and I think there is aggreement there.
On the other hand there is this more spread out effect reported by some if not
many that describe a metallic contribution or coloring of the overall sound
picture any given piano has. I personally have no trouble accepting this as both
a possibility and a probability, tho in deference to the fine arguments and
questions on the other side of this fence, I draw no definitive conclusion
(besides, not being a metalurgist, acoustics PhD, and in general an outright
genuis, I would be foolish to do otherwise.. grin)

>     The increase in radius of the V-bar doesn't seem to cause any accelerated
> wear, in my experience.  The heaviest grooving I have seen has been on the
> smallest radii.

My experience is a bit different I am afraid. I do experience significant
grooving in any system. But the deepest and widest  grooving I see is on Brass
U-bars. (typical on Schimmel upright pianos amoung others). But the groove itself
is not the point, rather it is the contour of the termination point that allows
the groves to become problematic (ie buzzing, brashiness etc). Here we are back
to the difference between how a string behaves under the conditions of a pivot
point visa vi the clamped point. There is also the buisness of string fatigue,
and the ability of the string to sustain its vibrations. Again I will quote from
Ed's book.

"Even if no buzzes are present, the sustaining quality of the tone will be
inhibited right from the start if the string contact area is too broad, since the
pivot effect of the termination is inhibited. This will cause the wire to fatigue
prematurely since it is forced to bend instead of flex at the forward termination
point. The angle formed between the string and the profile of the capo bar should
be a minimum of 20 degrees and a maximum of 40-50 degrees. What is essential is
that the vibrating string not buzz against the sides of the capo bar.

>      I also question whether the longitudinal waves that occur in a vibrating
> string cause the string to move back and forth over the v-bar, since in so
> doing, the tension would equalize ,and I know that I leave more tension in
> the top string than in the speaking length, and that this tension
> differential remains until the next time I move the pin.  Is that not where
> stability comes from?

I am not sure where we got into longitudinal waves. I thought it was pretty much
accepted that there are forces at work on a vibrating string over a clamped
termination that allow for more then one direction of vibration over that point,
whereas a pivot termination provides a way of (to no small degree) determining
the vibrational axis of the string. I believe I ran into a web side at one of
these universities who have lots of acoustics / physics outlines online for their
students which displayed this in terms of the physics involved. I will look
around and see if I can find it again. As far as stability is concerned, I would
have to think  that stability can only be served, not hindered by a pivot
termination, to say nothing of the matter of inharmonicity. The strings stiffness
is increased by a clamped point. This in turn causes the string to flex
internally at the termination point which leads to some degree of internal
friction within the wire. Then there is the matter of friction due to an increase
in contact area with the broad termination point. While it may help to some small
degree holding a slight difference in tension between the speaking length and the
non speaking length from affecting a unison, it also makes moving the string into
proper tension more difficult to begin with.

>     Ron has some questions here that I would like to see definitively
> answered, too.

Grin... In all humbleness gentlemen, I am but an egg ferverently reading through
what written material is available to me on the subject matter, and reporting
what I find as it relates to your questions. Ed's book seems to anticipate many
of these questions and objections. Tho there are no hard physics contained
therein to back up his point. He has studied physics to some end so I assume he
knows enough to know when he's out on a limb. Otherwise I can only say that what
little I have found and been able to understand of this on the nett has only lent
support to his descriptions.