pianotech-digest V1997 #1919 (long)

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:49:12 EDT

In a message dated 8/24/1999 4:01:03 AM, richardb@c2i.net writes:

<< If you replace the pivot with a wider, rounder surfoace,then
the flexing of the string is dispersed in several directions, thus increasing
friction and thereby wear. >>

Richard;
 I am not Ed nor am I a University web site but............. :-)
  Whatever result widening/rounding a surface of any given material would
give, increasing wear (i.e. quicker, deeper grooves) is not one of them.  To
decrease wear on any given point all one needs to do is spread the load which
in effect is what "rounding" a termination does. Given a harder material and
a softer material, both subject to grooving, and giving both materials a face
 with a V shape of the same crossectional size the softer material will will
develop grooves faster than the harder, all other things being equal.
  If you change the shape to U shape for the softer material and keep a V
shape for the harder material the 'groove rate' would approach equality, and
depending on cross sectional sizes the softer material may groove much more
slowly than the harder, all other things being equal. Conversely  If you use
the V shape for the softer material, and the U shape for the harder, the
softer material will develop grooves much faster than the harder, again all
other things being equal.
  While there may be more 'friction' on a 'moving' entity across a wider face
than a narrow face this added friction does not relate directly to more wear
on the surface that remains stationary, i.e Capo bar except as a coefficient
(?) of hardness would dictate.

  Now as I understand Ed's contention he says that increasing the hardness
and increasing the cross sectional size will cause grooving much faster....If
my understanding of what he says is correct then I must respectfully disagree
with him.  Load spreading is a well known principle and not a theory. Load
spreading is what allows a 50 ton tank, with 'tracked' propulsion, to
traverse sandy terrain without sinking in too deeply...whereas the same 50
ton tank with four or six 'wheels' would sink in much further and perhaps not
be able to traverse the same terrain as its tracked cousin.  The difference
here is 'load spreading', or 'footprint' and it is mostly linear the same as
a wires termination at the capo...the same principle applies..........i.e.
more footprint less grooving/less footprint more grooving...ya can't have it
both ways Cuz :-)

  Now Ed says that a harder plate with a rounder capo will cause deeper
grooves?
KInda flies in the face of my limited wet storages' processing capacity :-)
but......I am amenable to being convinced otherwise.
Jim Bryant (FL)
P.S. Besides I thought the general consensus of thought here was that the
V-pro plate seemed "softer" than the sand cast plate. <:(