Touchweight

Ted Simmons ted@brevard.net
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 13:22:44 -0400

A thread I started a while back was about a Church's grand action that
needed regulation and the music director asked me see if I could make the
touch lighter.  While the action was on the bench I took touchweight
measurements and everything was within spec.  The action should not have
felt heavy to the music director.  So I was puzzled.  Well, I regulated the
action and everything adjusted well.  On the bench the action played
normally with a heavy blow and also with a light blow.  However, when I
returned the action to the piano and secured the cheek blocks some of the
hammers failed to go into check on a light blow.   They just hung there in
about drop position.  This would definitely be felt as a heavy touch.  This
action rests on its rails; it does not have glides.  To correct this I
added a little more key dip and that took care of the problem.  I guess
this is a good example where bench regulation isn't always the most
accurate method.

Ted Simmons
Merritt Island, FL