historical tuning 1805

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 11:43:22 -0500

>From Newton....
> I would be most useful, in thinking through these concepts, if you
> people would use "expanded" and "contracted" intervals.

Many terms have been used,  narrow, flat, diminished, weak, "contracted". For common
usage, between Braid White and Jorgensen, "narrow" and "wide"  seem to be
the terms most used.
"Tuning a fifth flat" indicates the upper note  is
 flattened to produce a narrow fifth, as opposed to tuning the lower note (root)
sharp to obtain the tempered fifth.    ---ric