stability question

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 20:48:41 +0200

Hi Kris

Personally I dont find anything odd with your situation at all. Big open halls
as in Churches have notoriously unstable climatic conditions. Combine that with
a piano of the type you mention, assume a good deal of use, and a few years of
wear and tear and it would actually suprise me that the instrument would not
need tuning after a couple months.

There are a few things you can do to help the problem tho. One is to make sure
the action is in good shape, especially that the hammers are well filed and
make exact contact with all strings of all unisons. Worn to sh...t hammers that
hit one string of a unison hard while hiting the other weakly can help a bad
situation become much worse. Dont dope the pins unless they are below torque
rateings. Personally I dont like pin doping, but there are many who swear by
it. Marginally loose pins can definatly cause the piano to go quickly out of
tune. If the block is solid, replacing pins can work wonders. The heating vent
can also definately be a big problem, tho that depends on how extreme the air
coming out of it is. If you have a humid climate, and it blows hot dry air
right out under the piano, well... hey the thing is going to go out of tune in
a hurry, and that is probably the least of your problems. grin.

The best way to save your church money is to identify the main problem areas,
get them to go along with correcting them (even if that means an action
overhaul, pin replacement job etc) and get it fixed. The instrument will
probably live a lot longer as well.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway