stability question

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:13:08 -0600

Hi,

I see from your location you probably are in a location where there is
heating in the winter. Does the church drop the temperature in the
Sanctuary during the week? If so that is the probably source of your pitch
drift.

As to DC units being *spendy* I have never yet had a client who installed
one that didn't save money in the long run on tuning costs. Better, cheaper
and faster!

I take it the hydro bar is some sort of passive device. In my particular
climate these are *spendy* because they do not work.

At 08:10 AM 08/19/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi, List,
>I am looking for some input on a small problem;  if it's addressed in the
>archives I apologize for boring you - I don't have Internet.  The problem
>concerns a Story & Clark #413683, one of the ones "Built for churches";
>it is a church's sanctuary piano & their main worship instrument.  It
>just will not stay in tune longer than about 6 weeks.  After two months
>it's distinctly out of tune and after 2  1/2 months they call for another
>tuning. I don't mind tuning a piano often, but I feel badly for the
>church music budget.
>	There's a sticker just under the lid where the previous tunuer
>kept records; they shopw the piano was usually tuned at least three times
>a year, and those were not touch-ups; some hefty cent's deviations are
>recorded.
>	Its last few tunings were in December, Feb. 16,  and June 1st.
>In February I installed a Hyrdo-Dry bar, hoping that would at least help
>to lengthen time between tunings a little. Didn't help much - maybe added
>two weeks.  I'd prefer a Damp-Chaser unit but they can be spendy & I'm
>trying to help the church save a little, so I tried the Hydro-Dry first
>just to see.
>	The piano is not in ther best location: treble end  is mere
>inches from a heating vent (forced air heat),  and a door to the outdoors
>about 6 feet nehind the piano.  Not a main door, but a door anyway.  The
>building has no air conditioning.I have suggested that it be moved, if
>possible, to the other end of the stage, where there is no heat vent and
>no exterior door.
>	I see the piano again on Saturday;  am thinking about doping the
>block.  Any input? Thanks in advance -
> Kris Anderson, RPT
>Hibbing , MN

Regards,