stability question

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:18:51 -0400

Hi Kris,
     This problem is likely a combination of things and is all too common.
Being inches from a heating duct, the upper Midwest climate (very dry
winters, and very humid summers), plus the fragile tuning stability inherent
in these instruments is more than adequate to create a "bar room sound" out
of the nicest tuning in just a few months.  Unless the pins are very loose,
doping the pinblock will not help and will create problems.  Loose pins
typically manifest as drastic drops in pitch on individual strings, most
often in the bass and usually not as a generally out of tune piano and never
as a sharp piano.  Many pianos with very low or almost nonexistent tuning
pin torque hold just fine.
     What a technician can do is avoid tuning just before major seasonal
weather changes, install a complete Dampp-Chaser system, (provided someone
will maintain it), and a piano cover might help.  Educating the caretakers
about the problems caused by close  proximity to heating ducts, moving
pianos around, and turning the heat up and down could help.  Such
situations, if not explained, are often why customers change technicians and
are damaging to ones reputation.

Best Regards
-Mike Jorgensen