stability question

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:58:38 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/99 1:21:45 PM !!!First Boot!!!, pno2nr1@juno.com
writes:

<< a Story & Clark #413683,
    The piano is not in ther best location: treble end  is mere
 inches from a heating vent (forced air heat),  and a door to the outdoors
 about 6 feet nehind the piano.  Not a main door, but a door anyway.  The
 building has no air conditioning.I have suggested that it be moved, if
 possible, to the other end of the stage, where there is no heat vent and
 no exterior door.
    I see the piano again on Saturday;  am thinking about doping the
 block.  Any input? Thanks in advance -
  Kris Anderson, RPT
 Hibbing , MN >>

There has been a history of tuning stability problems with this vintage Story
& Clarks. Something about the Board, which was laminated, and runs horizontal.

But I think the problem is the location of the piano. No AC, in front of a
heat vent, by a door. I bet they turn the heat in the sanctuary down to 60
degrees during the week during the winter.

I don't think there is much you can do about this situation. A different
piano might help, but then only with a climate control system, and the piano
moved to a different place in the sanctuary. If the church doesn't want to
pay for that, I would just keep tuning it, and tell the choir director to
budget 4 to 6 tunings a year.

As much as I hate to say it, the only other alternative is an electronic
keyboard. There are not too many reasons to have one of these things, but
this is a situation where it might be better than an acoustic piano.

Willem Blees

Willem Blees