V Pro discussion

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:28:16 -0400

> (why for expample other factories in the face of otherwise overwhelming economic reasons would not retool, in spite of that cost).

Piano plate casting founderies are unlikely going to change their
casting equipment.  The kind of tolerances required by a piano plate
are so high and the profit from each one so narrow there is no
incentive to do so.

I do not know that soft plates are inherently superior to a harder
plate.  Parts of plates do resonate, old ones and new ones alike.  No
challange there.

What I do challange is that one plate of one make cannot be compared
to another plate by a different make because all design parameters are
not the same.  Make two castings from the same foundry, one hard, one
soft, is the only way to amke a valid comparison.  A design difference
is more likely a source than the metal.

Ed is erudite and knowledgable, no question there.

		Newton