Accu-just Hitch pins - any time, any place!

atonal@telusplanet.net atonal@telusplanet.net
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 08:38:39 -0600

> were installed. In both cases the plate broke off at the hitch pin line
> before the piano was even up to pitch. These failures were  back when
> Accu-just hitch pins had just been introduced, but the pianos currently being
> "upgraded" with new pins were not designed for this type of replacement.
> There is not only degradation of the plate strength due to removal of
> material, but also the leverage effect of not having the strings sit at plate
> level. Any other disasters out there?

Bill

	Your point is well taken regarding the cavalier attitude towards
hitch pin replacement (I made one of the comments). However, I
did not endorse installing hitch pins with no thought whatsoever. I
recommended ordering from Baldwin, who also can supply advice
as well as parts. Furthermore, when I'm attempting a retrofit like
this, I make darned sure that this is the proper repair for the
problem, and get lots of feedback from others regarding procedure.
Jon has done just that, and chosen not to install those hitch pins
to cure bearing problems. Also, it was pointed out that when using
this type of hitch pin (Accu-just, or whatever trade name-du-jour
you want), the string should never sit higher than 1/3 of the height
of the hitch pin. This advice I've also received from Baldwin Tech
Service because of plate stress problems (maybe they know what
they're doing, maybe someone just answered the phone and gave
me that advice 8-). Good advice has also been given on list
postings regarding staggered placement of the hitch pins, to offset
linear stress of the old hitch pin line. Del has mentioned replacing
only the bass section, where the plate is thicker, and bearing
adjustments can be made with the greatest effectiveness. And
lastly, and most importantly, Dale Fox mentioned experimenting on
his own piano, not his customers pianos.

Sometimes when we make these posts, we don't write an entire
essay on the pro's and con's of every job, but we will try to explain
advice in a more complete manner next time.

Regards,

Rob Kiddell RPT
Atonal Piano Service
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/atonal/