Accu-just Hitch pins - any time, any place!

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:04:00 EDT

In a message dated 8/18/99 5:52:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time, you write:

<< > I know of two pianos that catastrophically failed when Accu-just hitch
 pins
 > were installed. In both cases the plate broke off at the hitch pin line
 > before the piano was even up to pitch. These failures were  back when
 > Accu-just hitch pins had just been introduced, but the pianos currently
 being
 > "upgraded" with new pins were not designed for this type of replacement.
 > There is not only degradation of the plate strength due to removal of
 > material, but also the leverage effect of not having the strings sit at
 plate
 > level. Any other disasters out there? >>

Yes, when I had an apprentice working for me, he had got a cheap grand for
nothing and wanted to rebuild it.  Part of what he wanted to do was to
rescale it and that meant putting some wound strings in the low tenor.  We
were advised to use the Accu-Just Hitch Pins from Baldwin (even though I
never undestood why that was supposed to have been an advantage over simply
driving new standard hitch pins).  Although we put the holes way back of the
original hitch pins an a staggered row and had plenty of space between them,
the plate cracked in that area a few hours after the first chipping.

We were advised that we could repair that failure and reinforce the area to
accept the strain but the young fellow was so disappointed that he did not
want to continue.  He later found a Steinway L that he paid very little for
and rebuilt that to his complete satisfaction.  The failed cast iron frame
was sold to a sculptor for $25.00.

Bill Bremmer RPT