V Pro discussion

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 20:14:10 EDT

Jim writes:
>What I view as "plate ring" is a discernible, distinct tone emanating from
> the plate when struck a sharp blow or when excited by a harmonic(s) from
>the  strings. A completely seperate and distinctly different
problem/challenge
> than duplex scale noises, etc.

 Greetings,
      I agree mostly with this nomenclature, though the plate rings I hear
are usually much lower than the fundamentals of the notes that seem to cause
it.  I have always assumed it was the impact noise of the hammer against the
string exciting a resonant period in the casting.
    What I mean by plate ring is a musical pitch emanating from the plate.
This can be heard by hitting with a knuckle( my usual tool...).  In
non-technical terms, it is more like a "boing" and can last two seconds or
so.
    I have isolated it several times in the long bass struts on the Yamaha's.
 The last time was a older CF, When did the V-pro process begin?.  The only
time I have heard it objectionable on a Steinway was on a mid-sixties B.
Any others?
Ed Foote