V Pro discussion

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 19:16:01 -0500 (CDT)

> What I view as "plate ring" is a discernible, distinct tone emanating from
>the plate when struck a sharp blow or when excited by a harmonic(s) from the
>strings. A completely seperate and distinctly different problem/challenge
>than duplex scale noises, etc.
>
> Not trying to be difficult but is this a circular discussion vis a vis
>"plate rings"??
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Yep, it wandered off into the weeds when you weren't looking. I agree with
you that a softer plate should have less ring, all other things being equal,
which they obviously aren't. I'd agree with your definition of plate ring
too, and while a nose bolt adjustment might or might not cure it, a nose
bolt installation can, unless it's coming from a strut. Then, I expect a
cross brace could be pretty easily installed to stop it. I've heard VERY few
noises in pianos that I could verify as plate rings. That is, dampable by
hand, and thump reproducible. I find I can make a lot of different noises
thumping plates in various places, but I usually can't pick anything like
the same sounds out of the overall piano sound aurally. By far, most of the
obnoxious noises I hear in pianos are caused by something other than the
harmonic plate vibration. My customers generally think the worst noises that
come out of their pianos are from me going Ding... Ding...
DINGDINGDINGDING... Ding. Occasionally, I'd agree with that too.

 Ron N