V-pro discussion

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:50:35 +1000

G'day list,

It was my impression that the metal in the Yamaha plate was softer (not
denser) which causes the metal to have a higher sound energy absorbtion.
This is a result of the different cooling processes these different types of
iron go through.

I agree with Del that V=pro is merely more expedient and cost efficient - it
has little benefit to tonal quality.
Have you ever noticed that the pre V-pro Yamahas have less duplex noise
problems? More recent V-pro plates have had the capo bars hardened so there
has been an improvement made.

Sand cast plates have a harder shell. This harder "shell" gives a better
termination and reflective quality to the sound energy.....

Comments.....I know there are lurkers on this list who know more about this
than I!

Mark Bolsius
Bolsius Piano Services
Canberra Australia