Baldwin hitch pin replacement?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:59:19 -0600

Hi Jon,
           A suggestion that may help, get a set of  new type Yamaha rim
bolts and get rid of the dowels, the internal lag bolt adjust with an allen
key through the plate, and is an easy and precise way to set the plate height.
I have'nt tried it myself yet, just ordering some bolts for the next
candidate.  The plate lock down bolt is a nice chrome hex. You might have
to drill out the old holes and fit some sleeves for a nice tight fit.
Just a passing thought.
Roger

At 08:30 AM 16/08/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Re: Baldwin grand  H (?)   scale E
>
>Can the hitch pins be replaced with tension pins so
>the excessive downbearing can be eased a la 'accu-just',
>rather than raising the height of the plate support dowels?
>
>The bass, for instance, has 1/4" bearing at the moment. I don't
>think the summer humidity has moved the bridge that much.
>
>I was lazy when destringing and did not check bearing (it's only a Baldwin
>:-)
>The tone was lackluster. And the board had a 'thunk' sound when pounded
>with a clenched fist. It is not a candidate for a new board.
>But now the board produces a tone when hit.
>
>I believe the excessive bearing which was not addressed during the last
>restringing
>killed some of the tone and hopefully the board has sprung back a little.
>Big hope.  :-)
>
>In any case, that's what I have to work with and I'm hoping for a simple
>solution
>to the bearing issue.
>
>If I pull the plate again, I'll set the bearing with wood screws set in the
>plate
>bolt holes for adjusting height as Chris Robinson explained during one of
>his classes.   'Accu-just' would be nice too.
>
>Regards,
>

>Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre