Baldwin hitch pin replacement?

Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:30:04 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Page <jpage@capecod.net>
To: <nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET>; <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 1999 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: Baldwin hitch pin replacement?

> Ron,
>
> Doweling to commence soon, maybe; the jury is still out.
>
> What effect would something like threaded supports instead of dowels have
> on the tone? Something like long, hex set screws ?

None.  We do this all the time now.  We haven't used dowels for years.

> But at this point, vertical hitch pins are not ruled out. I trust the
present
> hitch pins are drilled 90 degrees_then_ bent.  Are tension pins (available
from your
> local hardware) what Baldwin uses?  They look like it.

Don't count on it.  They may or may not be at 90º to the plate surface.
Drive one out from the bottom and find out.  We often have to drill new
holes for the hitch pins.

The pins may not be available at your local hardware store.  These pins are
also called "expansion" pins, "roll" pins, "spring" pins, etc.  Buy from a
reliable source -- we've run across some that have been improperly hardened
and they can split.  You can find them at McMaster-Carr, among other
sources.  Or, try a local fastener supply source.  Look in the yellow pages.

By the way -- these pins can be called a lot of things.  What they should
not be called is "Accu-Just" hitch pins.  The patent expired some years ago.
The Baldwin tradename did not.

ddf