Baldwin 'leather' question

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 00:31:04 EDT

In a message dated 8/14/99 7:29:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kenrpt@mail.cvn.net writes:

<< List,
 I have a client with an 80's Hamilton that clicks on a forte blow on some
 keys. I checked for the obvious, loose hammer heads, shanks, catchers,
 flanges, etc., and couldn't find anything. The piano has the synthetic
 leather that is the black stuff, not the Corfam (sp?). Some of the hammer
 butt leather has come unglued at the top, which I imagine can slap the wood
 occasionally causing a click, though not all of the notes that click have
 this. I heard from another tech that the synthetic leather can click like
 this, even though it feels gooey and sticky to the touch. Is this true? Can
 that black 'leather' cause clicks just by being what it is?
 Ken Jankura RPT
 South Central PA Chapter

The synthetic leather is just what it is: fake.  Somehow the jack is getting
through to the wood of the hammer butt and makes a click. Changing the butt
leather to real leather will eliminate the clicks.  I had a hard time
believing it too but when I did the job the clicks were history.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR