Baldwin 'leather' question

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 00:33:30 -0400

706 629-3063
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Ken Jankura
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 1999 10:00 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Baldwin 'leather' question

List,
I have a client with an 80's Hamilton that clicks on a forte blow on some
keys. I checked for the obvious, loose hammer heads, shanks, catchers,
flanges, etc., and couldn't find anything. The piano has the synthetic
leather that is the black stuff, not the Corfam (sp?). Some of the hammer
butt leather has come unglued at the top, which I imagine can slap the wood
occasionally causing a click, though not all of the notes that click have
this. I heard from another tech that the synthetic leather can click like
this, even though it feels gooey and sticky to the touch. Is this true? Can
that black 'leather' cause clicks just by being what it is?
Ken Jankura RPT
South Central PA Chapter