V-Pro discussion

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:29:20 +0200

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM wrote:

> When I visited Yamaha and got the skinny on the V-pro plates they seem to
> say, as did Del, that it mattered little in the tone.  It was the fact that
> they would not have any failure rate and that they were perfect every time.
> Same strength with slightly less mass.  The finishing process could be
> immediate rather than spending the two or three days of grinding and sanding
> some companies spend.  This is one area that was money well spent.  Yamaha
> does not make this type plate for the concert grand because they do not make
> enough to make it cost effective to make a mold and a large casting area for
> it.  I have been in the molten iron area during pouring and it is quite
> awesome.  The cast iron cools perfectly uniform as to place no air pockets
> and no stress areas due to uneven cooling.  A highly superior process.  I
> have heard that sometimes as many as more than 50% of other companies plates
> have to be recast due to imperfections.  How is the density different?
> Richard, if they are both cast iron how can one be more dense?
>
> Ed Tomlinson

Golly gee willikers you guys really like standing up for your ma.. er piano dont
you.

Ok Ed, I have to admit I am not 100% sure on this matter of the plate density. But
here is what I have heard in years gone by from the guys who are supposed to be in
the know.

The Vacum process creates indeed a much more uniform, Feilfree plate which is much
more cost effective. It also creates a less pourous cast (thats why I figured
density was an ok word to use) This then is supposed to contribute differently to
the overall sound in the piano, in yamahas case make the sound a bit more
metallic. Now I cant say that I know this to be true, I am no physisist or
anything even close, but my impression through the years of the yamaha sound has
been that they have gone from very metallicish to acceptably nice and very even
with a tad of that metallic sound I dont like so much. I dont hear this same
"tinge" in pianos not useing that process.

I was curious to know that the Boston uses this proceedure as it has a kind of
sound I havent been able to really place. Anyways, if my betters in this area are
able to straighten me out on the vacum plate buisness that would be nice.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway