Impedance Matching

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 22:52:17 -0500 (CDT)

At 12:12 AM 8/14/99 +0200, you wrote:

>Stephen Birkett wrote:
>

>> I have my opinions about modal analysis (mentioned here once a
>> while back)...that, at best, it can tell you that the soundboard is
>> working as you already know that it is supposed to work. As a practical
>> tool for design I have my doubts it will ever give anything, primarily
>> because it treats the sb unloaded and in isolation from the interactions
>> with the rest of the piano.
>>

>Hmmm.. In the section of the Wogram article entitled "Influence of string
>tension" He seems to be saying that the condition of an uloaded soundboard is
>not a problem. He says that the basic impedance curve and sound radiation
>curves remain basically the same and that only the lowest resonances are
>effected and that the effect is predictable enough to take into consideration.
>Is this outdated ??

* I don't know about "outdated", so much as "un quantified". It hasn't
really been proven either way, as far as I know, so it may, indeed, be a
non-problem. Personally, I think the loading, and any resulting impedance
change(s) can be factored in to an adequate degree of accuracy once a rough
and relatively simple mathematical model has been constructed and reasonably
calibrated against what can be directly measured and heard. I don't see any
reason it has to be precise to fourteen decimal places, other than the
apparent fact that no one has a model (modal or otherwise) accurate to ANY
degree of accuracy yet, but there seems to be a bit more leeway in actual
practice. If one wants a digital readout, however, one will require lots of
decimal places, even if it's SWAG generated, for the visual effect. If we
could get anywhere in the ball park with a mathematical model, I think it
could be quite valuable as a preliminary ranging shot in the design process,
before you are actually listening to the results and it's already too late.
I see it as potentially offering more information to an informed decision...
kind of like using an ETD to improve your aural tuning skills. Ya think???

 Ron N