Piano Technician Position

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 17:53:36 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/1999 3:05:26 PM, hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu writes:

<<"I enjoy disagreeing with you, Jim.
Paul S. Larudee, RPT

Me too.
Conrad">>

Geeeez guys...should I feel honored?? :-)

Let me address Paul first........
<<"Bad?  It's horrible!  It costs over $80/hr for a telephone repairperson
here.">>
 Which is one of the many reasons I don't live in CA.  But Paul are you of
the opinion that the "repairman" keeps that $80 ?  If so, who pays for all
the high tech equipment that said repairman has. A good friend who 'is' a
repairman for SBell says that his truck and associated 'basic' repair
equipment/items parts runs about 60,000 dollars.......quite a bit of
difference between that and the cost of a hammer, a fork and some mutes Huh??
:-)

<<"Cost of living differentials are not geometric.">>
 In the case of CA vs rural NY they are !!

<<"For the remaining 1/4 time on your own you incur all the other expenses.">>
Well yeah this is true but are you suggesting that the expenses for normal
tuning are excessive or burdensome? After all that is what the premise is
based on, tuning, and not heavy duty rebuild/repair.
Can't afford a phone and a few business cards???? Maybe you ought to move,
and no I wouldn't suggest Binghamton for you :-)

<<"Much better to live hand to mouth until one develops the skills.">>
Well according to you that is just what this position offers!!
BUT Paul don't forget the premise I stated of "".....but whose skills are
average-to better.......""  What better setting to get more experience to
build upon already, presumably, adequate skills than a university where the
work is crying to be done and rebuilds are waiting to be done and to learn
with at the same time???

And CONRAD!!
 At least Paul came to KC and didn't go running of to Holland to drink beer
and eat chocolate with Andre!!

<<"If this a brand new position, the newbie will be competing with the
established locals who may or may not have any "excess" customers. ;-}">>

 Well yes there is this too, I "never promised you a rose garden" though did
I? When any tech moves to a new area he is faced with the same problems and
usually without a 22.5K safety net.

<<"i.e. - The person who takes the position had better figure a budget to live
on only the Univ. salary.">>

I agree, at least initially, prudence would dictate this.

Hey guys I may just apply for this thingee myself!!! I could use the rest AND
the raise in living standard :-)
Probably shouldn't ask y'all for references though huh?
Jim Bryant (FL)