Rebuilding grands...Clark

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:14:58 -0100

> Any reason you're not replacing the panel too?

Ron,

I've been <i>officially discouraged</i> from replacing the panel; I would, if
this were December because I'll be making 2-4 anyways. Otherwise, I'll shim
and splice it and count on the new ribs working.

If I were to replace this board (Gene just hinted it could be possible), I/we
still might have to eat the cost. In that case the price of stock seems
easier to swallow than the price of a panel, and I'd rather give away labor
disguised as experience than cash.

All of the Chickering grands I've seen have fairly inconsistent grain in
their boards, and all of them seem worse off than their contemporaries
comparable in quality in terms of cracks and loose ribs. However, none of
them seemed to have any compression problems - maybe because of the pieced up
spruce cases.

One observation from this Chickering is the "inner rim" shelf is square to
the case rather than being angled to match the crown of the board. I can
visualize any large difference in angles introducing a lot of stress into the
board, so perhaps this contributed to the state of this one.

Clark