(Fwd) Piano Technician Position

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:10:55 PDT

Mike,
  Don Santee, who was executive director of PTG around 20 years ago
presented quite an impassioned talk about this.  It seems that it has to do
with piano tech's having independently owned and operated businesses, thus
any large association of us that get together and set prices are in
violation of the Sherman Anti-trust Act, it has nothing to do with PTG's
tax-free status.  One chapter, somewhere in the Chicago part of the country,
got into trouble by deciding that their chapter dues would be equivalent to
one tuning.  By the time everyone paid their chapter dues, everyone else
knew what was being charged for a tuning in that area.  Some disgruntled
person reported them to some legal entity and the chapter got into BAD
trouble which could have included imprisonment and big fines.   The head
office couldn't give that chapter any help, because it could have snowballed
to include the whole organization.  I have forgotten the specific details.

   I did notice over the years that there is alot of misunderstanding of
what non-profit means and what the actual rules are, which leads to chapters
not taking advantage of the benefits of that status.