Smith-Coleman/QUESTION

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 15:38:28 EDT

Greetings,
Jim writes:
>> >The effect of unisons changing as the 2nd and 3rd strings are pulled
>in  a a phenonemon which applies more to the 5th and 6th octaves than in
>the temperament octave according to measurements which I have taken. Even
>in that range, on some notes the change is almost negligible.

  Umm, me too.  I am guessing there are other things happening than the
soundboard going down.  The following are just some points for consideration,
add to it or prove me totally wrong here and I will thank you for it. (:)}}
(I am aware that the various modes of transverse vibration don't model
easily, and longitudinal vibrations are beyond this simple attempt to
translate knowledge into tuning hammer behaviour.)
     There is a "relative impedance" between strings.   The strings are
coupled at the bridge, thus, they are entrained. When you have unlevel
strings, the resulting difference in the strings' amplitudes  causes them to
seek a common one, and they trade energy back and forth in an attempt to do
this, going in and out of phase with one another while hunting a stable
relationship. These changes in phase must be done by changing speeds, and we
hear that as the out of phase "whine"  which is the hallmark of out of level
strings.
     Another factor is that the rigidity of the terminus affects the pitch of
the string. ( I believe this is covered in Askenfelt's 'Five Lectures")  A
flexible termination ( like a limber bridge) allows the string to behave as
though its final termination is somewhat longer than the measured length.  An
extremely rigid bridge forces the string to begin its vibration just short of
the actual length, effectively causing the string to behave as though it is
shorter.
    Gabriel Weinriech has demostrated that the strings are linked and
affective upon one another in the unison.   That the local rigidity of the
bridge can be affected by the alignment of the unison's frequencies,
stiffening  when they are180 degrees out, and allowing flexibility when
synchronized.
    Does it follow that tuning the strings of a unison changes the relative
impedance(in the very localized area of the trichord) of the bridge as it
progresses through the three strings?  Cobbling this all together, could the
tuning of the three strings change the effective rigidity, and thus the
effective lengths as one goes through them?    And that these changes must be
aurally controlled?  I can believe it, but  I don't know.
    I often am able to erase a falsebeat by placing one of the trichords
strings in a place my machine would NEVER tell me to go.  And I get my
cleanest, most sustaining unisons when I place one of the three strings by
aural means along with the two others that stopped the lights on my SAT.
Others? Thoughts?
Regards,
Ed