Tightening pinblock and rim screws

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 13:26:47 -0600

Better mousetrap?  You bet!  and where you live you should have access to
all kinds of superior tools to do just that.  Surplus stores for starts,
large pawn shops ( advise to shop there only if you know a good tool when
you see it. )  Stanley used to make several flat blade sizes to fit their
braces.  I happened to be in an older hardware store one day and managed
to pick up bits from 1/4" wide to 5/8" for a buck each.   All my phillips
bits ( #3 and #4) have come from pawn shops for very little ( less than a
buck) and they are all 3/8" drive.  Try a Snap-On truck or a Mac truck if
you don't mind paying full price for them.   (The bits I have I wasn't
looking for at the time, but when seen and recognized for what they were,
took no time at all in making the respective purchases so really no time
lost in my case.)
And, as someone  was quick to say "high quality......"  It can't be met
by anything else.

Just as a quick tip ( no put intended ) IF you do get straight bits check
to see if they are "flat ground" (steady taper towards the working end.)
If they are, I suggest you do a little "custom grinding" on the working
end of each of them to make them "hollow ground".  The idea is to have
the end of the straight bits ground so the working end has parallel faces
rather than ones that are tapered.  Reason: tapered faces have a much
greater tendency to jump out of a slot than one with parallel faces.

John R. Fortiner